UOG employees get double pay; nurses, medics, doctors, linemen, mayors's employees, and all others do not
By Eric Rosario
(Tumon, Guam) Government of Guam front liners have been working during the public health emergency since mid-March and have been earning emergency pay at double their rate of pay, and hazard pay. But the Leon Guerrero administration isn't paying them, and now nurses are going to protest.
No line agency employee has received emergency pay, and according to Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero and director of administration Ed Birn, none of them will. The employees of Guam Waterworks Authority and Guam Power Authority who have been called to work during the crisis were paid for a month, before the agencies revoked the double pay provisions in their rules effective April 26. University of Guam employees also are receiving double pay.
The Guam Federation of Teachers is organizing a class action lawsuit to get front liners paid the emergency pay they have earned.
"We're going to fight this," GFT vice president Sanjay Sharma said.
Government shorts employees on hazard pay
"We also understand that hazard pay hasn't been paid for three out of the four pay periods since the emergency started," Guam Federation of Teacher vice president Sanjay Sharma said. "Employees only were paid partially for hazard pay in the one paycheck they received."
Nurses with the Department of Public Health and Social Services, and mayoral office staffers on the front lines have confirmed they received only half of the hazard pay they have earned, and only for one pay period.
Department of Education employees also are getting shafted. According to superintendent Jon Fernandez, "The 15 and 25 percent categories received their pay last week and we are working on catching up on the 10 percent category. We are working on the reimbursement as we are able to add up the numbers. For this reason, we are still catching up on the 10 percent employees but should be able to pay soon."
Adelup staffers and cabinet members rake in hazard pay
The following 19 cabinet members are receiving hazard pay for their assignments to the hotel quarantine and isolation sites:
Alice Taijeron, president of the Guam Housing Corporation
Rebecca Respicio, director of the Guam Energy Office
Lasia Casil, executive director of the Hagåtña Restoration and Redevelopment Authority
Jermaine Alerta, executive director of the Guam Developmental Disabilities Council
Melanie Brennan, director of the Department of Youth Affairs
Victor Villagomez, deputy director of the Department of Parks and Recreation
Phyliss Leon Guerrero, director of the Department of Integrated Services for Individuals with Disabilities
Michelle Perez, deputy director of DISID
Jack Hattig, administrative director of the Chamorro Land Trust Commission
Adrian Cruz, deputy director of the Department of Agriculture
Arlene Santos, director of the Guam Public Library System
Krisinda Aguon, deputy director of DYA
Walter Leon Guerrero, administrator of the Guam Environmental Protection Agency administrator
Gerard Toves, deputy director of the Department of Labor
Joseph Borja, director of the Department of Land Management
Jesse Garcia, deputy director of the Department of Public Works
Cecil Orsini, executive director of the Guam Contractors Licensing Board
Matt Santos, deputy director of the Bureau of Statistics and Plans
John Quinata, deputy manager of the airport
According to a March 30, 2020 memorandum released to Kandit News from a Freedom of Information Act disclosure, then-deputy chief of staff Jon Junior Calvo detailed the following Adelup staffers to the quarantine and isolation hotel sites:
Bentley San Nicolas
Agriculture deputy director Adrian Cruz was photographed in the middle of the work day Thursday conducting private business, even as he was detailed to quarantine duty and is accruing hazard pay for those hours.